Two real-live bank accounts in GnuCash

lugge luge86 at gmx.de
Tue Mar 29 07:48:51 EDT 2016

Hi there,

I have an account in GnuCash with represents my giro bank account.
I can get all my transactions into GnuCash via onlinebanking interface
(AqBanking), thus, I don't need to type them all by myself.
Because all transactions in GnuCash needs a "to/from"-account, all
transactions are mirrored in an "Unbalanced" account.
I have to go into my giro account and set the proper to/from account by
hand.
This way, I split my transactions into subcategories, like "expenses:loan",
"expenses:living", "expenses:sports"...

My expenses:loan account for example only has debits because every month
there is a transaction from giro to loan, each of size, say, 500€ for
example.

Now it's getting complicated (at least, for me).

I have a second real-live bank account which reflects my loan.
Now I'd like to add this account into GnuCash.

I now have to bank accounts in one GnuCash file.
When I update my transactions via AqBanking, I have a 500€ credit in one
account and a 500€ debit in another account.

But, GnuCash doesn't know this transactions are related!
Sure, I can set the to/from in both accounts to my "virtual" loan account in
GnuCash.
But this will end up the loan account always showing 0€.
Because for every +500€, there will be a -500€ transaction, resulting in a
sum of 0€.

I'm not sure if I'm using GnuCash correctly.
How do you manage two (or more) real-live bank accounts in GnuCash which
share transactions?
Do you connect them via a "virtual" account in GnuCash?
I'm not good in booking, is it OK for the virtual account to always show 0€?

Greetings, lugge