Chapter 8 - investment accounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 12:45:39 EST 2016

As I recall, the lots function was reworked fairly recently, and I believe
that it can work well if the user is careful about entering his data.
However, I have not tested it with my data.

I hope that it can now facilitate correct cost basis tracking and accurate
gain/loss calculations for transactions involving multiple and partial lots.

I believe Chris is updating the documentation of the lots function to match
the changes, and in his November 15 post to this thread he pointed out that
the lots function does not directly resolve the long standing issue of
tracking capital gains as defined by US government reporting requirements
compared to to simply balancing the value of the security account when
there are closing transactions.

The government's position that commissions be included in net gain
calculations is reasonable and can be accommodated in GnuCash by simply
using net values throughout.  However, this does not allow tracking
commissions, which, for example, could be useful in a decision whether to
use a full service brokerage versus using a discount broker.

Part of the problem of lot tracking when commissions are separated out is
allocating
partial expenses along with the gains.  The most difficult part, as I see
it, is the need to re-assign costs that were incurred in the opening
transaction(s) to a location where they can be found and reported along
with the costs incurred in the closing transaction(s) for a tax report.  I
think that is the essence of the question that Chris asked in his November
15 post, and I do not have an answer for him.

Historically, GnuCash was unable to do this, and that is why many users
(myself included) have been tracking capital gains separately for tax
purposes.  The question is whether there is a method to accomplish both
within GnuCash.

I suspect that part of a complete package would be a new report designed
specifically to produce a capital gains tax report including appropriate
separation of short term vs long term gains.

Perhaps another user can address those questions in a way that could work
at least in all jurisdictions that have capital gain reporting rules
similar to the US.

David C