Does GnuCash have this feature?

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:33:56 EDT 2016

As you mentioned, you could just put the reversing transaction into your
account as if it were done, then don't reconcile it until the transaction
is actually done. At that time you might want to correct the date. If you
leave the date alone in the meantime, it will appear at or near the top of
your list of transactions to reconcile. You might add something like
REMINDER to the beginning of the description; again, you can remove that
tag when the transaction is complete, just before you reconcile it.

A disadvantage is that your running balance (but not your reconciled
balance nor your cleared balance) will be lower than what you see in
GnuCash.

A similar idea that might work, without having to worry about the
difference in the balance, is to put a $0 transaction into your account.
Every time you reconcile, the transaction will appear, until you check it
as reconciled or delete it. If you continue to need the reminder, leave it
unchecked; it won't affect the reconciliation or your running balance,
being $0, but it will continue to appear at or near the top of the list of
transactions to reconcile until you check it during reconciliation or
delete it.

I'm not sure offhand whether you need a second leg for a $0 transaction,
and if so, where would be an appropriate location for it. Perhaps you could
put both legs in the same account, one as a debit and the other a credit,
in which case your reminder will appear in both reconciliation windows.
Even if possible, I don't know whether that's advised; future changes in
Gnu Cash may cause transactions like that to be automatically eliminated.
Or maybe not, I don't know.

You could also put the transaction in a receivable account, which you check
occasionally to make sure the balance is $0. You don't need the business
features to set up a receivable account; just set it up as an account of
type Asset under something like Assets:Receivables. That's what I do when
people or organizations owe me money. The original transaction, instead of
being from your chequing account to Expenses:Bank Fees, would instead be
from chequing to Assets:Receivables. When you do get the money back, it
should go from Assets:Receivables back to chequing.

Edward