Investment performance

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Oct 22 11:31:21 EDT 2016

On 10/21/2016 3:15 PM, Wm via gnucash-user wrote:
> On 20/10/2016 16:28, Filipe Giusti wrote:
>> Exactly, it's very good on accounting, I've been tracking my investments
>> and expenses for a long time using GnuCash and I never said it's bad.
>> However what I'm looking for is not trading information.
>>
>> I decide monthly how I'm going to reallocate assets and where new money
>> goes,
Actually Filipe, I'd want to know more about what you are trying to do,
exactly what strategy for reallocation you are trying to follow. Some of
the better strategies, although ultimately based on performance, do NOT
require the kind of data you seem to think you need (and can be done
with just data gnucash can easily supply).

For example, if you are following a "rebalancing" strategy, you need to
know JUST the current balances (and their total) and not HOW they got to
their current balances since the last time rebalancing was done << you
don't need to know what the prior balance, the prior total, etc. as >>

Michael D Novack

PS: The strategy I am giving as an example also known as "asset
allocation". You decide what percentage of the fund should be in which
asset accounts and at what point of imbalance you reallocate to restore
that planned allocation. This forces taking of profits from the sectors
which have already risen and moving these to sectors that have lagged.
The concept is that not all sectors move the same way at the same time.
You rebalance whenever out of balance by the threshold decided but you
only need the current balances to make that decision.