Linux: 2.4.11 migratoin to 2.6.13 Guide?

james garftd at verizon.net
Thu Sep 8 13:38:05 EDT 2016

Hello David,

As I mentioned before, there is nothing in the manual or Tutorial
located at gnucash.org, related to upgrades and moving to a different
computer; surely these are common occurrences... Upgraded on gentoo is
quite trival (emerge -u <pkg>) or a new installation on a new system
(emerge <pkg>). So I guess I should refined the question to what data
sets need to copied to the new installation?

Parsing the 'http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ' FAQ, I did find these
tidbits::

1. Lots of antidotes to problems, after a migration
  (gnucash --nofile);  remove/rename reports.

2. Make sure gnucash-docs is installed (it is) assuming that's the
standard linux manpage for gnucash?

3. Data files (default xml or sqlite) good to know, now I just have to
find the location dir of those xml files?  Note this page::
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash_XML_format suggests the gzip files
are indeed the xml format files.

4. Reference to this document::
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/User_Configuration_Files
But, none of those files

On the old system I do see these files::
using the linux 'file' command, interestingly the file types below are::

'FORTRAN program' and 'gzip compresses  data, from Unix', respectively.

cat1.gnucash.2015#########.log
cat1.gnucash.2015#########.gnucash

And this file::
gnucash.workpages.27aug2016.gnucasch.2016#########.log

I also found these files::
/etc/gnucash/:: 'config', which is mostly empty and 'environment' which
seems to be important.

And this directory ~user/.gnucash  with 3 dirs (books checks translog)
with the files  'accelerator-map' which is significant, and
'stylesheets-2.0' which is scant (probably default) and
'expressions-2.0' which is empty.

Now, reading the standard man pages for 2.6.13::

'man gnucash' is short and identical to 'info gnucash'

I'm not certain there are examples and useful information in
gnucash-docs-2.6.13, nor how to access those documents on (gentoo) linux?

Guidance on these file and migration/upgrade are most welcome.

James