Mac users have a huge problem, I think! Gnucash won't open anything now

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Apr 4 13:37:35 EDT 2017

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 9:49 AM, Anita Graves <anitagraves at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Dear John,
>
> I love GnuCash…why would I want to change with all the work behind me….
> My problem is that I can’t even get the file menu dropdown that shows me the most recent files….  I don’t know any other way to open the files except by that and now that too is gone.
>
> I feel really terrible that I gave you the impression that I am not happy with GnuCash…that is far from the truth.  I just wish I were smarter and could figure out how to get around this frozen situation…I feel ‘locked in’.  Or, better said, ‘locked out’.

Anita,

Please remember to copy the list on all replies. "Reply all", the double-arrow icon, works well.

GnuCash always tries to open the last file that you had open. If you've moved, deleted, or renamed it it will fail and will put up a dialog box saying "The file/URI xxx could not be found". GnuCash will wait for you to dismiss that dialog box by clicking "Close" and until you do you won't be able to do anything else with GnuCash.

Once you click "Close" GnuCash will finish starting up with an empty book. At that point you can use the File menu to select another file from the most-recent list or to run the File>Open dialog. When you do that it will ask you if you want to save the empty book: Tell it to "Continue Without Saving".

Regards,
John Ralls