Budget reports show current income as negative value

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 14:10:24 EDT 2017

Marcin,

My Budget Report shows my actual income correctly as a positive number. What is the sign of your income account? Check both the Chart of Accounts and the various income account registers. They should all be positive. Also check your setting for Preferences > Accounts > Reverse Balance Accounts. I suspect you have it set to "none." You can play with this setting with the Preferences window open while looking at the Budget Report, or the Asset tab, or any register tab to see the effects in real time as you change it. "None" will show you normal income balances as negative. "Income & Expense" will show you normal expense balances as negative and income balances as positive. "Credit Accounts" (which is what I use) will show ALL normal balances for all accounts as positive. Thus a negative balance in any account would be a clear indication that account had the opposite of its expected sign meaning either a special situation or more likely, an entry error.

If your setting was not “none" and your income balances are negative (a debit balance in this case) then all of your income transactions are entered backwards. When receiving revenue, you should debit the asset you are receiving and crediting the income/revenue account you are categorizing it under. You will need to reverse all of these entries manually.

Note, if your Budget Report use to report income with a positive sign and now does not and you recently upgraded to 2.6.16, that would be due to a bug that was fixed where the Budget Report did not honor the Reverse Balance Accounts setting. It does now.

Regards,
Adrien