Budget reports show current income as negative value

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 21:49:42 EDT 2017

Hi Marcin,

What is your setting for Edit -> Preferences -> Accounts -> Reverse
Balanced Accounts? Most people have it set to Credit Accounts, which is
what I have it set to.

With that setting, I can't reproduce your results. I just opened a new
GnuCash file, created a budget with a $1000 income in Income:Salary for
this month, closed the budget, then entered a transaction from
Income:Salary to Assets:Checking in the amount of $1200. Everything looks
normal on my budget report. I don't know where you are getting the graphs
from; perhaps you can post a screenshot of the entire screen instead of
just the small graphs.

(On the other hand, if I set Edit -> Preferences -> Accounts -> Reverse
Balanced Accounts to None, I do get some crazy stuff on the budget report.
I can barely wrap my head around it. I think I understand what's going on,
but basically, it's wrong. I strongly suggest you don't try to use the
budget features with that setting.)

There is one negative number on the budget report: the difference between
actual and projected in my Assets:Checking. That would be - in budgeted
Assets:Checking, and 1200 actual, for a difference of -1200. Is that what
you're talking about?

That, I'll admit, is a little counterintuitive, especially since the
Income:Salary line has +200. The differences are the wrong way around in at
least one of the lines.

The developers are looking into issues related to the budget and budget
reports. Before the reports can be fixed, the budget module needs a bug
fix. Then we can turn to the budget reports.

In the mean time, the budget stuff will work better if you have Edit ->
Preferences -> Accounts -> Reverse Balanced Accounts set to Credit Accounts.

Edward