Adding invoice numbers to business checks

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 28 08:12:34 EDT 2017

Cindy,

Cindy Ames <cindy.ames at southmorgan.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> This is my first post to the list, but I've been using GnuCash to manage my
> business accounts for several years now.  I've looked through some of the
> archives but haven't found what I'm looking for.  I'd like to use the
> "Print Check" function under "Process Payment" to not necessarily print
> checks but mainly to print a list of invoice numbers being paid that I can
> supply to the vendor.  I've read the manual sections on customizing checks
> and have tinkered with customizing an existing template (Quicken/Quickbooks
> US-Letter 3-part) to add the invoice number instead of the split account
> name.   If someone could give me some pointers on how to do that I'd
> appreciate it very much!

Keep in mind that a payment could be applied to multiple invoices; it's
not a 1:1 map.  So if there are multiple invoices, which number would
you put into the transaction notes?

Also, have you tried putting something into the "Memo" when you post the
payment?  IIRC that should go into the Transaction Notes field, which
should appear on the "memo" line of your printed check.