Adding invoice numbers to business checks

Cindy Ames cindy.ames at southmorgan.com
Tue Aug 29 17:22:49 EDT 2017

Hi Derek,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Keep in mind that a payment could be applied to multiple invoices; it's
> not a 1:1 map.  So if there are multiple invoices, which number would
> you put into the transaction notes?
>
> I typically do pay multiple invoices with one transaction.  The template
I'm using is a voucher-style template, with the check at the top and two
copies of the voucher below which lists the individual invoice amounts,
prefaced with the accounts name, which in my case is "Liabilities:Accounts
Payable".  I'm not currently using this to print checks, I would just like
to be able to use this to easily print a list of invoices being paid that I
can supply to a vendor.  Instead of it listing the account name (the
template appears to be using "SPLITS_ACCOUNT") I'd like to just list the
bill id.  I've tried SPLITS_MEMO but it apparently doesn't contain any
data.  I'm not sure where the SPLITS_MEMO data would come from, perhaps the
Notes field when entering a new bill?  (I'll have to experiment with that.)

I'm referring to this for the possible fields to use in the template:
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/check_format_info.html.
I'm not seeing anything that corresponds to a bill ID number, though I'm
wondering if "ACTION" would get me what I'm looking for if I enable the
"Use Split Action for Field Number" in my Book Options (like it describes
in that URL) but I don't want to do that if I don't have to since the help
docs warn against changing that setting at any time other than your initial
setup.  I suppose I could make a backup before trying it, or else create a
new gnucash file to test it out in.

> Also, have you tried putting something into the "Memo" when you post the
> payment?  IIRC that should go into the Transaction Notes field, which
> should appear on the "memo" line of your printed check.
>
> No, I haven't, and I could manually enter all the invoice bill ID's there,
but if I can make my template automatically list them I would definitely
prefer that.

Regards,
Cindy