How to Import Stock Transactions

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:35:23 EST 2017

I've tried researching in the GC manual and googling the web, but I keep
finding outdated solutions or references to webpages that are no more.  I
haven't been able to get QIF exports from my broker (Edward Jones) to work,
despite trying different things off and on for several months. It appears
that they export using a two-factor scheme that requires a verification
message from the Intuit web server in response to a message from a valid
copy of Quicken. I have resigned myself to having to manually log in to the
Edward Jones website and downloading transaction data in an Excel file
export.

I have not had any success figuring out how to convert the Excel data into
a format suitable for importing into GC and how to import A) the pure stock
transactions (e.g. dividends) into their separate accounts and the
conversions between stock shares and cash (e.g. buy and sell) into the
parent account (or do these go into both?).

I'm still not clear on what goes where when it comes to the investment
accounts, even though I thought I'd be able to make sense of the data I
imported from my Quicken file when I started the transition.

There's way too much to manually enter and keep up with.  I need some way
to take the Excel file and load it into GC without having to manually
monitor/edit each entry during the import process.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me a clue how to do this.

--
Craig.