[OT] systemd (was Re: www.gnucash.org back online)

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Wed Feb 8 01:45:51 EST 2017

Well, can we be off topic and just warn GnuCash users on Windows and
Mac (most of them?) from the beginning that they can skip reading this
thread?  It might apply more directly to GnuCash users on Ubuntu,
Debian, Linux, BSD, etc.

It is worth noting that the various BSD's (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
Dragonfly BSD) run gnucash quite well, but usually with an older
release than current.  However, gnucash requires many dependencies
along with X11, which some varieties of BSD consider a bloated
nuisance; OpenBSD, for example, has what it calls a "default X
environment", but the assumption is that the OpenBSD install will be a
server/router/firewall, so why bother?  I have used gnucash on FreeBSD
with xfce, and that works fine.  DragonFly BSD is an excellent little
distro, and does indeed have gnucash.  It also has Hammer FS, which is
a real accomplishment for a limited developer base.

Where systemd may affect gnucash (in user space) directly is the
increasing integration between gnome and systemd.  I use ubuntu daily
as a "swiss army knife" type of OS to go between Windows, Mac and
Solaris, and both systemd and gnome seems way more complicated than
they have to be.  I'm not an expert, but if you find yourself
resorting to rc.local on a daily or weekly basis, that seems too
often.  Gnome apparently is moving toward a "tighter handshake" with
systemd.  Or, perhaps, systemd will eventually replace gnome.  Again,
I'm not an expert, but either development seems bad to me.  If you
can't login to a console, and then type "startx", run gnucash, and
then exit the X Windows session gracefully, then I see that as a
problem.

But I can't see that affecting most gnucash users, who I'm guessing
are on Windows and Mac.  Gnucash users on Ubuntu might be affected;
gnucash is listed in the gnome "sub section", which I take it means
that a gnome installation provides the dependencies that gnucash needs
on Ubuntu.  So others will have to figure out how to proceed if gnome
and systemd become "too close", or if one replaces the other.  I don't
know enough to say.

Where the BSD's shine, however, are as servers, routers, firewalls,
and a lot of other applications (Border Gateway Protocol routers) that
need to be fairly robust with a good level of security.  The pf
firewall is outstanding (hence its name in PFSense), I have had BSD
routers run for months without a problem, and intrusions are almost
nil (but that's always dependent on the sysadmin, no matter how good
the OS).

But the convenience of Ubuntu or Debian in a Docker environment would
outweigh the effort of switching a container over to FreeBSD.
FreeBSD, perversely, also runs docker, which is odd because FreeBSD
has had "Jails" for years.  Gentoo might be a viable alternative, but
also more work than necessary.  SMF (in Solaris and SmartOS) does some
things very well, but I never got past the xml code in the manifest
files.

I would not avoid Debian or Ubuntu because of systemd or gnome, but I
would want to have an alternative if necessary.  Gentoo is a
candidate; you can use runit, OpenRC, and dumb-init for linux
containers.  Systemd is also an option on Gentoo, if you want it.

In user space, that means that one of the best reasons for using
gnucash is that it runs on a variety of OS platforms.  If one of them
becomes unworkable, switch to another, and still use gnucash.  When I
become annoyed by their political idiocy, or get tired of giving
MicroSoft or Apple too much money, I use BSD or linux.

Gordon