A/R: 2 questions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Feb 8 15:51:05 EST 2017

Op woensdag 8 februari 2017 12:02:01 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
>    Two questions about accounts receivable:
>
>    1.) Why can I not see the entire transaction line, even when I expand the
> GnuCash window to the full width of the monitor? At the right end are
> fields for tax table, subtotal, and tax, but nothing beyond that (such as a
> total.) When I expand the window the Description field expands, but not the
> end of that line.

After you have expanded your window, you can double-click on the vertical
separator between the description field and the action field. This should
shrink the description field enough to show all the remaining fields on a
line.

Let me also point out here it looks like you're mixing terminology, which can
cause quite some confusion. An invoice window/tab lists *entries*, which have
the columns you describe (tax, subtotal and so on). The A/R register has lists
*transaction splits*. The invoice window is not the A/R register. Perhaps this
mixup also made our conversation on the previous thread more difficult than it
should have been.

>    Related to this: we have no sales tax or VAT here in Oregon. Is there a
> way to remove all tax related fields from account and transaction views?

No. The fields in invoice windows are hard-coded.

>    2.) I added a client and an invoice on 2 Jan 2017 and assigned it the A/R
> account.
What do you mean with you "assigned it the A/R account" ? Did you post the
invoice to the A/R account or did you add an entry to the invoice and chose
the A/R account as Income account ?

The latter would be wrong. You'd need to enter an income account in the entry/
entries and post the invoice to an A/R account afterwards.

> When I view the A/R register this amount is shown in the credit
> column rather than the debit column and the total is a negative amount. I
> cannot edit the A/R record even after unposting the invoice. This means
> that the negative amount decreases current assets in the balance sheet
> report.

This doesn't make sense to me. I don't know how you can create a negative
credit unless you created a credit note instead of an invoice.

And I don't understand what you mean with you can't edit the "A/R record".
When you unpost the invoice, the "A/R record" should be gone from your A/R
register, because unposting an invoice destroys the associated transaction. If
you mean you can't edit the entry on the invoice, that would be something else
and odd.

>    Further, when I received payment and processed it this past Tuesday I
> used the A/R process payment dialog box. Yet the A/R register does not show
> the payment, only the outstanding invoice.

Are you sure it's the outstanding invoice you see ? If it's unposted you won't
see your invoice any more. What type is the transaction you see in your A/R
register? P or I ?

>    I thought that I had done everything correctly because I had the Guide
> open both times and followed the protocol described there. I'd like to
> ensure that A/R is correct with both invoices sent and payments received.

It should be yes.

Do you perhaps have more than one A/R type account (and similarly more than
one A/P type account) ?

Regards,

Geert