Odd Register Problem

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jan 14 03:50:07 EST 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 21:16, Fross, Michael said:

[...]
> In looking at my Income:Salary account where my paychecks go.  These
> transactions have many splits for insurance, taxes, etc.  I noticed that
> there are about 10 transactions early in the account that were imported
> from quicken that take up three lines in the register.  The math is
> correct as the "income" column is only populated on the first one.  The
> splits are all identical for each one.  The math is all correct.
>
> Looking at the Basic and Auto-Split views shows this.  Looking at the
> Transaction Journal view shows just the one transaction.
[...]
> I assume there was an issue during import, but I have no idea how to fix
> it.  I've attached a screenshot but not sure how helpful it will be.  The
> 1st is the basic register view.  The second is the transaction journal
> view that shows there is only one listed for 11/06/2016.
[...]

This is expected behaviour. You are apparently viewing the
Income:Expenses:Michael register, which (as you can see in the journal
view) has three splits in this txn, one with a value and two empty. If
you take a closer look at the register view you will see that the splits
are not identical - two of the displayed splits are, indeed, empty.

If you want to remove the empty splits you will need to delete the
*splits* not the *txn*. You can readily do this in journal (or
auto-split) view.