Importing accounts/data as CSV

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Jan 23 12:04:49 EST 2017

Op maandag 23 januari 2017 08:44:06 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > That is solely for historical reasons. The csv importer was written first
> > and has had this limitation from the beginning. Later someone contributed
> > an export to csv option which can write multi-split transactions (meaning
> > more than 2 splits) to a csv file.
>
> Geert,
>
>    Ok, this makes sense. However, ...
>
> > In gnucash 2.8, this will change. The csv importer has been rewritten and
> > one of the new capabilities is it will now be able to handle multi-split
> > transactions.
>
>    Why so far out? I don't know the times when the importer and exporter
> were written, but I suspect that transactions with more than two splits are
> found in more transactions than mortgage payments.

Absolutely. multi-split transactions are fairly common in several situations.

>    Can't the new importer be back-ported to the current 2.6 series?

Unfortunately not. The new importer is part of the ongoing c++ rewrite. We
can't backport c++ code to the stable series.

> Obviously, I've not looked at gnucash source code, but it seems to be a
> useful tool for folks migrating from non-QIF/OXF bookkeeping software.

Indeed. That's partly why I decided to improve it. But the changes required
were too intrusive to do on the stable series.

> Thanks for explaining,

You're welcome.

Geert