BUG Report GUI

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Mar 30 04:43:28 EDT 2017

On woensdag 29 maart 2017 20:40:12 CEST ppssupport at hotmail.com wrote:
>    To the developers,
>    First of all I'm very happy with gnucash. Therefore I subscribe to the
>    mailing list in order to help.
>    However, i become very anoying to see repeatively mails covering the
>    same topic over and over again.
>    Will be nicer to create a bug gui within gnucash that is able to
>    categorize bugs.

Hi 'Me',

Thanks for your proposal. However such discussions should happen on gnucash-devel, not
gnucash-user.

And then some clarifications beforehand:
Our mailing list is not a bug tracker. It's where users discuss any problem they encounter. Some
of them are bugs, others (in fact most) are user issues.

When a user posts on the list and it turns out to be a bug, that user is asked to file a bug in
bugzilla [1] which does all you propose and much more. This is a mature bug tracker. I don't
think it would be wise to try and replicate its functionality in gnucash, which is a program for
accounting.

>    Due I'm a senior developer, i'm suggesting to create a menu within
>    gnucash that will create a gui containing

Now you've got me confused. The "Me" in "About Me" of the blogspot article you refer to writes
"I'm a junior developer". Are you the same Jeffrey from that blogspot article ?

>    1. dropbox for main issue, Like installing, importing, etc
>    2. dropbox for sub issue, like for importing >> customer, employee,
>    invoice
>    3. a field for short description
>    4. a field for longer description limit to 300 characters
>    5. a field with you e-mail.
>    see example at [1]https://ppsolutionnet.blogspot.com/2017/03/post.html
>    Based on this the gui can send mail to the mail server or web database
>    but in categorized manner.
>    IAlso you can retrieve headers of what ever is posted. and get help
>    faster
Again, bugzilla allows this already.

>    I know that this is lot of work, but i think it will be more efficient
>    to answer questions and to cut down excessive unnecessary emails.

Unfortunately I don't see how that would cut down the amount of mails in any way or make it
more efficient to answer questions. Particularly because the mailing list you wish to restructure
is not about bugs. It's about getting help using gnucash.

Finally you're very welcome to help improve gnucash. However IMO what you propose above is
trying to solve a problem that's not there. If you want to make bug reporting from within the
program easier, I would propose to add a menu item that opens up our bugzilla website in an
external browser.

>    Regards,
>    Me

Regards,