gnucash-user Digest, Vol 168, Issue 46

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 16:13:16 EDT 2017

Was the price of the array $3000 or is that what you paid for it?

If you received any kind of documentable rebates or tax credits that offset the final cash price, then you might have a case for valuing the array at the original higher amount. Otherwise, short of unrealized gains, likely in combination with a professional paid-for estimate, you can’t reflect the potential higher value added to the property until you sell it. The book value of an asset is only what was paid for it. A professional estimate doesn’t change the book value, but it does provide some reasonable documentation as to why the property should be valued higher for certain considerations, like insurance coverage, or collateral values.