Budgeting Reporting and Tagging

jwrauch josephwrauch at gmail.com
Mon May 1 23:49:08 EDT 2017

I'm new to gnucash, but I've read through the documentation and I haven't
seen a clean way of solving my issue.  When constructing my monthly budget I
want to leave some funds as "unbudgeted", since they range from paying for
an impromptu dinner with friends to paying for new socks.

Lets say I have an impromptu dinner with friends.  This transaction goes
into an expenses:dining account.  Additionally, every Tuesday I go to bar
trivia and get dinner.  This also goes into my expenses:dining account, but
I'm expecting this transaction and can budget for it.   However, gnucash
reports these transactions together as they are part of the same account.
Is there a way to tage transactions so that they are reported separately as
"budgeted" and "unbudgeted".  In the app I can add notes, but I don't think
they're maintained after a qif export as they don't show up in a
transactions report or any of the register views.

The closest solutions I've seen are to either create budgeted and unbudgeted
subaccounts in all my expense accounts, or budgeted and unbudgeted
superaccounts (expenses:budgeted:dining), or create a custom report.  I
don't fancy changing up my account tree, but if that's the most recommended
solution I'll try it.  Custom reports could also be the answer, I haven't
looked into them as deeply because I wanted to check if there is an easier
solution first.