Does GC drop things from the data base?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 09:41:10 EDT 2017

Hello Anita,

When GnuCash is working perfectly it never loses data.  That said, there
are a nearly infinite number of ways for errors to occur.  While many of
them include human error, there are also many ways to fail without human
intervention.

You have already started down the path of discovering an apparent error and
trying to assess where it may have occurred.

If you think that the last copy of your data file is not in the same folder
that GnuCash saved it in, you must figure out all the reasonable ways that
it could have gone missing.  If you did move it, where to?  If you saved it
to someplace other than your C drive, where could that be?  If you use
different filenames which one did you use last?  Is it on a USB drive that
fell overboard?

Those are the first thoughts that popped into my head, and you have
probably already investigated most or all of them.

You also asked about the log file that GnuCash creates.  It can be opened
with any text editor program, but most of the contents seem cryptic because
the information is not stored in a familiar format.  If it does include
information about some very recently entered transactions, the text entered
in the various fields will be in there.  The way to recover that
information is to open the previous complete data file and use File >
Import > Replay GnuCash log file...to enter that data again.  This is
designed to recover most of the data that had been entered just before a
crash, but it also works to help get to a point before a major data entry
mistake. Of course, nobody ever does that!

GnuCash always saves those files in the same folder as the data file, so
the last log file is probably in the same place as your missing data.  Not
very helpful.

I hope I helped.

David C