Two different sets of accounts

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 20 21:14:53 EST 2017

On 11/20/2017 09:47 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> Guncash, opening in its default mode, will always open the last file you
> had opened.
> a) You can "tell" gnucash not to do this, but instead open "nofile" and
> then you have to choose which file you want to open (there is even a
> drop down list for the last several you had open). That is what those of
> us who are using gnucash to keep several sets of books usually choose to
> do << there is no reason for us to expect that the books we want are the
> same as last open >>
> b) Even when gnucash has opened the "wrong" set of books (you have two)
> you can at that point tell it to open the other. See that "file" button
> on the top left? That will let you open another, either from the list OR
> by explicitly entering the name.

I have an additional solution, practical since I am the administrator of
this computer.

I have my own private accounts, and if I am logged into my machine as
me, if I run GnuCash, I get those.

I also am treasurer for a small non-profit outfit, and I gave that
outfit its own login. If I log in as that and run GnuCash, I get those.
Both are under /home, but otherwise separate.

I can also login as myself, do an su - nonprofitlogin
and then run Gnucash to access those other accounts. That way, I can
have both open at the same time, though I usually do not need to do that.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 21:10:01 up 6 days, 4:25, 2 users, load average: 4.14, 4.36, 4.46