Two different sets of accounts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Wed Nov 22 09:24:29 EST 2017

On 11/20/2017 9:14 PM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 09:47 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> I have an additional solution, practical since I am the administrator of
> this computer.
>
> I have my own private accounts, and if I am logged into my machine as
> me, if I run GnuCash, I get those.
>
> I also am treasurer for a small non-profit outfit, and I gave that
> outfit its own login. If I log in as that and run GnuCash, I get those.
> Both are under /home, but otherwise separate.
Yes that of course will work since separate users have their own data
areas. I was not suggesting that solution because in my case a lot more
than two entities having books kept for them plus a number of virtual
entities (virtual sets of books) .  Would be too many logins.

Thus loosely attached to our personal books are two virtual sets of
books. For example, we have a solar system on our barn and it has a set
of books for the "AS IF" it were a business that borrowed money from us
(and from the point of view of our books, an investment in a mortgage)
various sources of income (tax credits, credits against electric bills,
sale of SRECs, etc.)  and various amounts as expenses (its share of
insurance, taxes attributed to income that affects our personal taxes,
etc.). How successful is this "business" at paying off its loan? (at an
above market rate of interest). If it pays the loan off early, what
dividends can it be paying on built up equity?

As for the organizations, well when entering transactions often have to
refer to emails (when I have to ask the person who submitted a receipt
for reimbursement "what WAS that?" so I know the right expense account).
So I want to be under the same log in that our email is.

Michael D Novack