Vendor Bill - Invoice Entries

C M Reinehr cmr at reinehr.net
Tue Oct 17 10:56:46 EDT 2017

Probably the most common, and least expensive one, that I run into most
often is Quick Books. I've never used it but I have used Quicken -- and
left it for GnuCash!

Here at my office we use an ERP product called Southware Innovations.
We've been using it for quite a long time now so I'm not up on their
current pricing but at a guess I think the cost of a single user license
for the basic accounting modules as well as order entry/sales &
inventory management will likely run between $2,500 & $5,000.

Here is a website that I just discovered that appears to list any & all
kinds of software available. Narrowing it down to inexpensive accounting
packages you get:

https://www.softwareadvice.com/accounting/?deployment_id=&market_products_sort_order=&market_products_sortby=great_fit&more=true&price_ranges=1&stars=&segment_id=&platforms=&int_site_code=&subsize1_id=

If that URL is corrupted just start at www.sofwareadvice.com.

Cheers!

On 10/16/2017 05:44 PM, fellowtraveler at comcast.net wrote:
 > Thanks CM, I’ll take a look. Given that this is a very small
non-profit, I am hoping to avoid a commercial package and so far GC has
(mostly) met the needs but now we’re looking at trying to have more data
available that is not strictly just dollars and cents so to speak. In
any case, are you (or anyone else here) aware of some common commercial
packages?

 >> On Oct 16, 2017, at 6:31 PM, C M Reinehr <cmr at reinehr.net> wrote:
 >>
 >> I second the comments by Michael. While I use GnuCash to keep up
with my personal accounting, for my business I use commercial accounting
software which provides all of the modules described and quite a few
more. You can license as few or as many modules as desired -- at a cost,
of course. So, if you're doing only basic accounting you can license
only the general ledger module, which would be analogous to GnuCash. But
if your needs are greater than there are the accounts receivable module,
the accounts payable, module, payroll, inventory control, sales order
entry, point of sale, etc.

 >> The only other open source software of which I am aware that would
provide you these types of modules is a product called SQL-Ledger which
you may wish to investigate:

http://www.sql-ledger.org/cgi-bin/nav.pl?page=feature/index.html&title=Features

 >> At the very least looking at what SQL Ledger has to offer will show
you the kinds of packages available.

 >> Otherwise, you're looking at purchasing commercial enterprise
resource software.

 >> Hope this helps!
 >>
 >> CMR
 >>
 >> On 10/16/2017 05:04 PM, fellowtraveler at comcast.net wrote:
 >>> Michael:
 >>> Thanks for the reply. I have to say, I was thinking this would be a
natural function of business accounting software but I see your point
about the bulk. This is a function I am currently looking into for a
non-profit. Basically, we receive invoices for services which I’ve been
inputing as bills into the AP register. The invoices of course could
contain any number of services, many of which are common. What we’d like
to be able to do is to create reports that might say, these are the top
5 services that were preformed in 2016 and how many of each there were.
I’d prefer to only have to enter this data once, so I was hoping that GC
would have the functionality but I am finding out that this might be
outside the scope of any accounting type of software.
 >>> Would you be able to suggest an approach, a tool, that might
compliment GC? Or is this just going to have to be something totally
different?
<stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com> wrote:

> [...]
package. A business might need a number of OTHER packages that would
interact with the accounting package, but normally are separate parts.
Why separate? Because which of these other parts a business might
want/need depend on the business. A unified business application
(including ALL the different possible pieces) would be unnecessarily
bulky, with a given business never using many of those pieces.

sales not only interacts with accounting but also inventory >>

"pieces" that would apply to this specialty. Just because I may be using
gnucash to provide these pieces does NOT mean "part of gnucash" << I am
simply ALSO using gnucash to implement "virtual  books" for those
specific pieces >>

--
"The essence of Libertarianism -- and civilization -- from what we
learned in kindergarten: 1) Don't hit other people; 2) Don't take their