Backup help

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 04:04:23 EDT 2017

Colin,

You've got that correct. Replication, just like e.g. RAID protects against
some forms of data loss but it is not a full backup solution.

It could be part of it though, e.g. if running a more permanent backup from
the slave is easier than running it on the master.

MySQL/MariaDB have specific commands to create backups, look at mysqldump
for details.
As with all backups: it is important to test not only the backup part but
also the part of restoring it.  Depending on the options you set with
mysqldump the recovery part differs.
E.g. You may need to make sure you have a backup of the mysql user's
passwords, which is a separate task.

Regards

Bram