[GNC] Gnucash 3.0 Crashing

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Apr 28 04:39:07 EDT 2018

Op zaterdag 28 april 2018 05:36:50 CEST schreef Bruce Michael:
> I recently bought a new computer and then tried to access a file on Dropbox
> that had my accounting data.  The file was created with a previous version
> of Gnucash.  I installed v3.0 on the new computer and when i tried to
> access the file it said that it was locked and gave me the choice of
> opening it read-only, opening anyways, open another file or quitting.  I
> have tried the first two and when I due the program crashes.  Now, this
> message pops up whenever I try to open Gnucash and I cannot access my
> data.  I went to my old computer and I can still open the file with the
> previous version.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce
The "file is locked" message is what you get when gnucash can't close your
file properly. And if gnucash crashes it obviously hasn't be able to do that.
So after a crash this is a normal message.

There are several known crasher bugs in gnucash 3.0 on Windows. You could try
again with a more recent nightly build
https://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/maint/gnucash-3.0-2018-04-27-git-3.0-94-g74fd6e046+.setup.exe
This is not an official release, but  it has all the changes so far that will
go into the next release. Most of those changes are directly addressing the
windows issues.

Can you let us know how it works for you ?

Alternatively you can also choose to install the latest gnucash 2.6 release
which is 2.6.21 which can be found on the Downloads page of the gnucash
website.

Geert