[GNC] Gnucash 3.0 Crashing

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 28 09:20:10 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-27 23:36, Bruce Michael wrote:
> I recently bought a new computer and then tried to access a file on Dropbox
> that had my accounting data.  The file was created with a previous version
> of Gnucash.  I installed v3.0 on the new computer and when i tried to
> access the file it said that it was locked and gave me the choice of
> opening it read-only, opening anyways, open another file or quitting.  I
> have tried the first two and when I due the program crashes.  Now, this
> message pops up whenever I try to open Gnucash and I cannot access my
> data.  I went to my old computer and I can still open the file with the
> previous version.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I haven't seen any other answers to this.

Bruce, GnuCash creates a lock file when you open a data file, to prevent
two sessions from editing the same file at the same time. GnuCash
deletes the lock file when you close the data file. But if GnuCash
crashes, this does not happen, and the lock file remains.

Therefore, when you open GnuCash and it finds the lock file already
exists, that could mean that another GnuCash is running or that the
previous run crashed. GnuCash doesn't know which of those is true, and
it puts up the message. If you know that you have no other GnuCash
sessions running, then "Open anyway" is your appropriate choice.

I remember reading this in the Tutorial and Concepts Guide, but I can't
remember where. If you haven't read the Guide, you really ought to IMHO.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com