[GNC] Business Account Set Up Question & Customer Billing Question

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Aug 21 22:51:04 EDT 2018

Welcome to GnuCash!

Capital Equity investments should be like so:

Dr. Assets:Checking
Cr. Equity:Paid-in-capital:Partner A/B

Or using some similar accounts. You want to record the receipt of an asset, and you want to balance that against a specific partner’s equity.

Opening balances are for when you have a balance pre-existing from older books (or no books) for a particular account.

If you do this for both initial investments, Equity should show 1440 total paid-in.

The client re-billing issue however is a different matter.

There is a ‘jobs’ feature in GnuCash, but it is very limited at the moment. Each vendor can have only one job. So if you buy ‘parts’ or multiple items on the same invoice from a single vendor and then in some fashion, direct, recombined, or further process or manufacture, you can’t tie that job to multiple clients.

That would be more of an inventory system and GnuCash doesn’t have that at present. (and may not, its purpose is to be an accounting system, not inventory control, point of sale, etc cetera, but external modules are possible, just no one has written this yet.)

At the very least you could use a spreadsheet for tracking what to bill customers, but I’m sure there is better software out there to handle the task. You’d then import the resulting transaction into GnuCash for the accounting.

Sorry, I know that wasn’t the answer you were looking for.

It might be possible, using either directly entered transactions, downloaded transactions from a card issuer, or maybe even via invoices to ’tag’ transactions or splits for particular customers. (likely using the Description, Notes or Memo fields) You can then use this to generate a transaction report that can be used to then bill customers — not simple, I know.

But if that’s the present hangup/issue, be patient and ask for more help specifically on those points and someone will be able to guide you through.

If you are using one of the SQL backends (sqlite3 has the lowest barrier for new users) you have the option of using SQL queries on the data directly outside of  GnuCash or via something called PieCash which gives a python scripting interface to those backends. (without having to learn SQL) This way, you could run a python script or SQL query to create a CSV of the needed items to be re-billed, even including your markup, all generated in a format to be imported directly into GnuCash as an invoice that you can track in GnuCash and print/send to your client. This is probably the most likely solution for you though others may offer other suggestions.

Just remember NOT to *write* back to the database using SQL for the foreseeable future. GnuCash is not yet a ‘full’ database driven application. Use the importers for bringing in data you don’t want to enter directly.

Regards,
Adrien