[GNC] Cannot change preferences

Ken Heard kenslists at teksavvy.com
Wed Aug 22 11:19:42 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-22 03:43, Colin Law wrote:

> Can you remind me how you installed gnucash?  I expect you have said
> but this has been a rather long thread.  If it was a pre-packaged
> installer then I think that is a bug in the installer as it should
> specify dbus-x11 as a dependency.  It is not an issue on the version
> of gnucash in the Ubuntu (18.04) repository as that does specify
> dbus-x11 as a dependency.

This point was one of the observations/questions I wanted to raise.

The version of gnucash I have, 1:2.6.15-1, was installed from the Debian
Stretch repository. Just now I looked at the entry for this package on
apt-cache and discovered that dbus-X11 is recommended for
gnucash-1:2.6.15-1; whereas it has to be mandatory.  This is a bug which
I will report to Debian.

I also inadvertently found another bug for this package.  Hitting the F1
key is supposed to open the help window but does not.  Instead a small
window opens with the message "GnuCash could not find the files for the
help documentation.  This is likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package
is not installed."  That package I have indeed installed; consequently
failure to open the help window is another bug for me to file with Debian.

Another question is whether the dconf family of packages should also be
mandatory for gnucash.

Regards, Ken