[GNC] Help breaking up a file

Eric Jensen ericj79 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 06:44:52 EDT 2018

I apparently looked at the file size wrong. It is actually only 1.38 MB.
That is compressed. It does take about 23 seconds to open the file though
from a local drive. I am also using gnucash 2.6.19
I agree that it is nice to have all the historical data available. But I
don't like waiting so long for it to open every time. And I don't find
myself looking up things older than 3 year very often

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, 5:00 AM Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, that is a lot of personal data, mine goes back to 2001 and is
> only 2MB.  Is that the default file type (XML) and have you specified
> Compress files in Preferences > General?
>
> In my opinion it is best to keep all the data in one file, then you
> have immediate access to all the history.  So far for me the PC power
> has kept pace with the file size so I have not noticed much difference
> over the years.  On Ubuntu mine takes 7 seconds to load the program
> and another 13 to load the user data.  That is fetching the data over
> my local network from a Pi file server so would likely be much quicker
> if the file was on the PC.  I am using 2.6.19
>
> What operating system are you using and what do you mean by 'noticeably
> slow'?
>
> Colin
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 at 09:39, Eric Jensen <ericj79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have been using gnucash to track my personal finances since 2011. I
> have just
> > continued using the same file over the years. At this point it is over
> 45MB and
> > it is noticeably slow when opening it. I realize now that I should
> probably use
> > a new file for each year. Is there any way for me to break up my current
> file
> > into yearly chunks? I tried exporting all transactions for a year in CSV
> format
> > and then importing them into a new file that I had created exporting the
> > accounts, but that seemed to have a lot of errors. Does anyone have a
> simple way
> > to accomplish this?
> > ----
> > Thanks,