Filtered account report

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Tue Jan 16 08:48:13 EST 2018

On 1/16/2018 3:04 AM, AC wrote:
> Thanks but not exactly simple in my case as there are over 1000
> transactions to the loan interest expense account.  The report was
> mainly for my own curiosity which is why I'd rather use an algorithmic
> method to generate the report.
This is an important point (what David just said)

With any of these accounting packages you have to plan the CoA so that
the information you need will be available. Essentially what you are
saying is:

"I did not design the CoA in such a way (a parent "loan interest" under
which children "loan 1 interest", "loan 2 interest", ......) that I
could see the interest for each loan separately. How can I NOW obtain
that information?"

The simple answer is, you can't. But that leads to a discussion about
being alert to changes needed in our books. Such changes might be easy
at the time but very difficult later. Using this situation as an
example, you might have started out with just one loan, so natural to
have just "loan interest". It is when first entering transactions
related to a second loan that we need to notice "oops, won't be able to
track the interest of the two loans separately" and so you:
1) rename "loan interest" to "loan 1 interest"
2) create parent account (placeholder) "loan interest"
3) make "loan 1 interest" a child of this account.
4) create "loan 2 interest" a child of this account.
If you realized this fairly speedily after loan 2 came into existence,
not a lot of work re-entering transactions. But if you wait till there
are hundreds or thousands that would need to be fixed .........

Michael D Novack