[GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 04:32:20 EDT 2018

From: Mark Blakeney <mark.blakeney at bullet-systems.net>
Sent: Sunday, 8 July 2018 9:52 AM
To: goodchris96 at gmail.com
Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

Chris,

Yes thanks. I actually discovered that myself later on. Obviously it was picking up some other US stock called WES.

I find this online quote stuff needlessly confusing though. I fretted trying to work out what to configure as the "Type" for my stocks given none of the default ones (NASDAQ, EUREX, etc) seemed appropriate to my ASX stocks. Also, that field is confusingly called "Namespace" when you look in the securities editor. Then I eventually discovered the Type/Namespace field serves no purpose whatever and can be configured to whatever you want to make up! That field should be removed. Also, why is it required to configure a timezone? The software is only after the latest quote price and should be able to hide that complexity from the user.

--
Mark Blakeney.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 9:29 AM Chris Good <goodchris96 at gmail.com <mailto:goodchris96 at gmail.com> > wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 10:59:33 +1000
> From: Mark Blakeney <mark.blakeney at bullet-systems.net <mailto:mark.blakeney at bullet-systems.net> >
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org <mailto:gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to gnucash and trying to set up online quotes via Alphavantage. I
am
> using Arch Linux with stock versions gnucash 3.2-1 and perl-finance-quote
1.47-
> 1. I have my API key configured etc and gnc-fq-dump works correctly as
seen at
> https://imgur.com/a/swf5xto.
>
> I have the stock configured in gnucash as https://imgur.com/a/mblUFvj. My
> default currency is Australian dollars (AUD) everywhere.
>
> However the online quote is displayed with the wrong currency (US) and
value as
> seen at https://imgur.com/a/gnS8Aau.
>
> Does anybody know why?

Hi Mark,

You need to add suffix ".AX" to the "Symbol" in the Security Editor.
E.g. CBA.AX <http://CBA.AX>
This tells Finance::Quote to use the price from the ASX using currency AUD.

Regards, Chris Good

Hi Mark,

I believe the security Type/Namespace is used to group securities in the security editor and Price Editor.

For those with many securities that is probably very useful. You should probably create a type called ASX for your aussie stocks. That’s what I did IIRC.

I don’t know why the timezone is needed but presumably it is.

The documentation could use some updating. The Help manual section about the Security Editor needs updating re Yahoo stopping providing most stock prices. Any help gratefully accepted :-)

Regards, Chris