[GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Fri Jul 13 07:31:55 EDT 2018

On 7/13/2018 4:59 AM, Norbert Klein wrote:
> Thanks, Stan,
>
> for sharing your work with all.
>
> But it only makes me feel sorry - I am a non-programmer user of
> GnuCash :-(
>
> I still hope there will be - some time in the not too distant future -
> a program which can be used also by a non-programmer to move a well
> working GnuCash system from one Widows 10 computer to a new Windows 10
> computer.
>
> Still not giving up hope.
>
> Norbert

This is not really a "program which can be used by a non-programmer"
issue. It is more a issue about "computer used by a non-programmer"
issue (a special case of a more general problem). Computer users who do
not have a "support person" have to learn how to do SOME basic tasks for
themselves.

How do you move ANY data between devices, between computers or from
computer to backup device and how to restore from backup? Do you see why
your question "how do I move gnucash data?" is just a special case of
this more general problem << how do I move data from my old computer to
a back-up device, USB stick or external drive  or network place,  and
how do I "restore" this data to my computer, in this case the new one.

If you don't know how to make backups of your data and restore from
backup and you don't have a "support person" to do tasks like this for
you, then you as a computer user have to learn how to do this basic
(absolutely necessary) thing for yourself.  If you do not have back-ups,
it is not a question of whether you will lose your data but when you
will lose your data. Not just your gnucash data but ALL of your data.

Michael D Novack