[GNC] Payroll add-on, module, software?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Jul 25 14:06:14 EDT 2018

Rod,

Do a list search for payroll questions via Google like this:

“site:lists.gnucash.org payroll”

That will limit the search to only the mailing list server. (I don’t think other search engines have that feature)

You’ll find many list topics dealing with the subject but the short answer is, no, there is no (and probably won’t ever be) any payroll module or features. Unfortunately, the jurisdictional requirement nightmare to comply with every nuance across the entire planet is beyond the time and resources of the small development team.

However, GnuCash can handle the payroll accounting entries and even print the checks. (with vouchers if you’re up for some finagling)

You’ll have to calculate the deductions from gross separately in some other software first though. The most common suggestion I’ve seen is to setup a spreadsheet with the proper deduction rates and you just fill in the gross.

If you spend some time on the formatting and setup, you could possibly even import the resulting transactions to GnuCash so as to avoid data duplication entry errors. (and save time)

Also, if the payroll transactions are generally the same, that is, salary based and regularly issued, you could either simply use the ‘duplicate transaction’ function each pay period, or otherwise set up a template scheduled transaction accordingly. (you get to approve the actual transaction) The latter option has the benefit of tying into a future scheduled transaction report so you can use that data to track future profitability.

Regards,
Adrien