[GNC] QIF Import in GnuCash 3.1

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jun 14 10:01:58 EDT 2018

> On Jun 14, 2018, at 12:48 AM, Daniel Rosenberg <dnlrsnbrg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from GnuCash 2.6.19 to 3.1 (Windows 10).
> I use the Gnucash app for Android to record transactions on the go and
> later import them to the desktop version. The exported QIF file is in UTF-8
> format and includes some german language special characters (ü, ö, ä, ß)
> which are correctly shown when opening the file in notepad and notepad++.
> When importing the QIF file to Gnucash, this characters are represented as
> what seems to be ANSI characters, for example ä turns into ä
> (Geschäftsreise --> Geschäftsreise). Is there a way to change this
> behaviour in GnuCash? I can't find an option in the QIF importer like in
> the CSV importer where I can change the charset.

It’s probably decoding according to your system codepage and it’s probably a side-effect of our upgrading Guile in the Windows build. Please file a bug report.

There are a couple of possible work-arounds in the meantime: You can try changing the system encoding to cp65001, which is UTF-8. That might get Guile to read the file correctly. Alternately you can use another program to recode the file in your system code page (IIRC cp850 for Germany). Notepad++ might be able to do this.

Regards,
John Ralls