Liabilities / Accounts

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 19:03:31 EST 2018

On 27/02/2018 17:53, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> James,
>
> Everyone has their own methods, but the Tutorial & Concepts Guide has a suggestion that I’ve followed and it’s served me well.
>
> I always enter transactions working in the account register the money is coming FROM.
>
> I never use the General Journal/Ledger.
>
> In the case of a liability/expense situation, consider entering it in the particular liability register (Rent Due in your case) since it’s the liability that is ‘paying’ the expense until you actually fork over the cash. (and then enter that final payment transaction from the cash/checking register)
>
> This way you will always keep the splits straight. Money always moves from one account to another, and if you're already in the FROM account, the TO account is much simpler to figure out.
>
> Also, since this is likely to be a recurring transaction and the amount is likely to remain stable, consider learning how to use the Scheduled Transaction feature. You can have these weekly transactions automatically created for you. (with the ability to review and adjust them first) Then you’d only need to manually enter the actual payment each month when you make it.

I agree about the rent but also think the payments should be made
regular too.  It just makes life easier.

If I look at all the future stuff in the general ledger once a week or
once a month I have a close to real future transaction flow.

I commend accounting in advance when it is obvious.

--
Wm

It would make sense if Trump *planned* to lose people as he loses them
so often.  But does that makes him an asset stripper or just careless as
he is losing his son-in-law too ?