Thanks and solution to "incorrect starting balance in reconcile."

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Sat Mar 24 09:46:03 EDT 2018

> There is no ’solved’ function of the mailing list. It’s not like a
> forum or ticketing system, it’s just group e-mail.
>
> The best practice if you find a solution you want to specify or
> document is to simply post it as a reply to the original
> thread. (rather than starting a new one)

For those unaware, he's referring to some common pitfalls that even I
made in the beginning of mailing list usage:

- Changing the "Subject" header field.

  Don't put "Solved" or anything. In maximum, you can put "Re:", "Fw:"
  and "(was: ...)", and for this last one, use it in the end.

  If you do want to change the subject only to start a completely
  different topic, do so using something like this: "Sub-topic B (was:
  Let's talk about A)".

  Some email clients or webmails do some nasty stuff with the message
  headers and with parts of the "Subject" field, such as nationalizing
  "Re:", "Fw:" and "(was: ...)", this makes other clients confused.

- Using "Compose new" or simple "Reply".

  Please use "Reply to list/group" instead. You can also use "Reply to
  all" but in this case the original poster will get duplicate emails
  unless you remove his address from the "To" field.

  "Reply" is for private replies to the original poster (in this case
  it's a good idea to change the "Subject" so that the person knows it's
  a private branch of the discussion). The other reply buttons are "wide