[GNC] Advice needed, how to handle a medical reimbursement account...

randix butterandsalt at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:07:27 EDT 2018

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, what you propose would work fine if one was not
interested in keeping track of the current balance(s) in the various MRA
accounts.  I need to keep track of the balances, as I need to know which MRA
account still has credit balances to which I can submit claims.

So, for example, using your suggestion...

1. On January 1, 2018, I'm notified that I have received $1,000 which has
been deposited in my XYZ MRA Account (keep in mind, these are not funds that
have been actually sent to me, rather they have been deposited in an account
set up in my name). I have an ASSET account in the name of XYZ MRA, so on
January 1, 2018, when notified of the deposit, I make a "deposit" in that
asset account in the amount of $1,000, and offset it with $1,000 in an
income account titled MRA income (so I can keep track of MRA funds that have
been credited to me in all MRA accounts).

2. On January 5, 2018, I pay out of my checking account the sum of $100.00
to Doctor 123, the offsetting entry is expense:health:medical

3. Using your suggestion, on January 10, 2018 when I file a claim for
reimbursement of the $100.00, I debit the ASSET XYZ MRA account, so it now
has a balance of $900.00, and credit the $100.00 in my
expense:health:medical account.  All good.

4. *The issue is what happens when I actually receive the reimbursement in
my checking account. *

4.1 You said, "Receive reimbursement. Deposit into checking account. Debit
checking, credit MRA". Not exactly clear what you meant, except that I get
you want a credit to end up in the MRA account.  But doing so, will bring
the balance of the MRA account back up to $1,000 when we know there's only
$900 in there...if that account had a zero balance to start with, your
debit/credit approach would work fine. But I need to have it track the
balances.

Suggestion?  My head is starting to spin :)