[GNC] Accounting for Refund

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Nov 5 15:27:54 EST 2018

Op maandag 5 november 2018 20:00:54 CET schreef Eric Rathhaus office:
> Hello - I need to refund a client for pre-paid expenses I didn’t end up
> incurring.  I could just cut a check and account for it as an expense.  But
> as these payments came from multiple invoices and jobs, I would like to
> have some method for creating a note to identify the various expense
> payments I’m refunding.  Credit notes only exist for employees.

Credit notes exist for customers, vendors and employees. Unfortunately the
menu names are a bit misleading.*

If you select Business->Customer->New Invoice you can choose to create either
an invoice or a credit note.

> Would I go
> back to each invoice and revise the payments to account for refund from
> each invoice and send updated invoice along with the check?  Thanks.

That shouldn't be necessary as you can create a credit note for a customer.

Regards,

Geert

* This is a historical artifact. There has been some discussion when the
credit note feature got added, but at the time no consensus was reached about
how to organize the menus. And at some point it was forgotten. We really
should fix this. Meanwhile a credit note can be created via New Invoice...