[GNC] Accounting for Refund

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Nov 6 13:01:19 EST 2018

Op dinsdag 6 november 2018 05:30:32 CET schreef Eric Rathhaus office:
> I do have a f/u question. When I create a credit note, the program only
> allows me to account for it as income and it appears as a positive number
> in my accounts receivable.  How can I account for this transaction so that
> gnu cash recognizes this transaction should be a debit against previously
> income?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Customer invoices are
debits in Accounts Receivable and Credit notes are credits. What is a
"positive" number for you in this context ?

If you want to use the credit note to balance the outstanding invoices
balance, you can "pay" your invoices with that credit note. You do so by
opening Business->Customer->Process Payment...
Enter the customer and select the invoices/credit notes you wish to offset. If
there's a remaining balance you may want to set it to 0, unless you also want
to record a payment for this remaining balance in one go.
Is this what you were looking for ?

By the way there was a bug in gnucash 3.0-3.2 where credit notes were of the
wrong sign. So be sure to work with the most recent version for proper credit
note handling.

Regards,

Geert