[GNC] Column labels in Credit Card accounts

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 10:31:59 EST 2018

On 11/19/2018 5:33 AM, Maf. King wrote:
> Hi Barry, The option I suggested will swap between formal "Debit &
> Credit" column labels and "Friendly Text". The "Freindly Text" will
> vary depending on the account type that you are looking at - by way of
> example my credit card accounts are Payment / Charge, Bank current
> account is Deposit / Withdrawn, Other Liability accounts are Decrease
> / Increase, Expense accounts use Expense / Rebate.
  Whether "formal" or "friendly" is easier to use might depend on level
of experience with double entry bookkeeping and what texts/aids a newbie
is using.

This if new to double entry bookkeeping and using an "accounting 101"
text to learn from and that text is using "formal" (debits and credits)
then you might find it easier to tell gnucash to use formal too.

Another situation is when you have lots of accounts where the "friendly"
doesn't really apply (say you have a lot of fixed assets to account for
with their "accumulated depreciation" contra accounts << these are type
"asset" but not deposits or withdrawals >> As a matter of fact, I have
gnucash set to "friendly" in all accounts but do not get confused as I
am rather experienced doing bookkeeping (learned maybe 60 years ago)

Michael D. Novack