[GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Oct 7 16:03:14 EDT 2018

At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 13:47:05 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> Ideally, one should be able to choose a repository with a more up to date
> version so you don't have to build. (such as sid)

There could (will) be issues with dependencies...

> If I had the hardware to test, I'd go through the build and add the recipe
> to the wiki, but alas...(anyone?)

I expect a VM running an appropriate version of Debian or Ubuntu would work to
build a viable .deb file or even a binary .tar.bz2 file, that could be
dropped / unpacked into /usr/local/ or /opt/, etc.

> But note, you can install flatpak and use that version as well.

Assuming there aren't dependencies issues...

> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Oct 7, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 10:19:51 -0500 (CDT) randix <butterandsalt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> thanks, unfortunately, also get the message, "error while installing"
> >
> > OK, it looks like *someone* needs to build a newer version of GnuCash under
> > ChromeOS OR really under the version of Debian used by ChromeOS or possibly a
> > version of Ubuntu that is binary compatible with the version of Debian used by
> > ChromeOS.  *I* *have* VMs running Ubuntu 14.04 and could probably create VMs
> > running 16.04 or even 18.04, but I have no clue which (if any) are binary
> > compatible with ChromeOS...  I don't have the wherewithall to install Debian
> > itself (I have dialup Internet so I cannot do any sort of network install -- I
> > do have a local repo for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, and 18.04 on a removable disk
> > that I sneakernet to someplace to rsync it up to date from time to time).
> >
> > The *ideal* option would be to build from sources on the chromebook itself.  I
> > guess that would be possible, just a bit non-trivial.
> >
> > Is there any way to get a more detailed message than "error while installing"?
> > Eg. which dependencies are missing, etc.  It *could* be possible to hunt down
> > additional (missing) packages and install them.  Or something like that.
> >

> >> --
> >> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> >>

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > heller at deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933