[GNC] Stock & Mutual Fund Quotes Fail

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 07:38:08 EDT 2018

Hello,

On September 1, 2018, at 2:59 AM, Rob <rg2junk at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All:
>I've added multiple stocks and mutual funds into the security editor of
>gnuCash. Using AlphaVantage, I have also tested the retrieval of quotes
>using the command line tool gnc-fq-dump. I've noticed a few things:
>   1. If I use the GUI to request price quotes, I get an error saying
>   "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items"
>   2. Running gnuCash in debug mode doesn't give me any extra info
>   3. If I check the quotes using gnc-fq-dump, I can request 4, but then
>   the quotes begin to fail - unless I wait 30 or seconds or so, at which
>   point I can suddenly request information on more stocks/funds.
>So my question is "Is this a bug in Finance::Quote" or GnuCash?

The answer is, "Neither." It is apparently a part of Alphavantage's API to limit the number of requests in a given time period. There are numerous discussions on the lists of this over the last several months. I believe that there is a newer version of Finance:: Quote that will attempt to work around this limitation (by spreading the requests out over time).

David