[GNC] Stock & Mutual Fund Quotes Fail

Ameet Sengar ameet at sengar.com
Sat Sep 8 14:59:56 EDT 2018

Edit AlphaVantage.pm in your finance::quote folder. Eg. On my system
C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib\Finance\Quote\AlphaVantage.pm

I'm using fq-1.47.

Add sleep(15) as the last line in the 'foreach' loop. This addresses what
David has suggested below. It adds 15 seconds between each quote as
AlphaVantage has asked free users to limit quotes to 4 per minute.  If you
have a lot of symbols, you will hate this suggestion but for a dozen it
isn't terrible and remains cost effective.

If you're new to this sort of thing, just open your file in a text editor (I
use notepad++) and go down to the end. With sleep added, the last lines
should now look like this:

 $quantity--;
 select(undef, undef, undef, .7) if ($quantity);
 sleep(15);
}
return wantarray() ? %info : \%info;
}

Best,
Ameet

-------------

Hello,

On September 1, 2018, at 2:59 AM, Rob <rg2junk at gmail.com

>Hi All:
>I've added multiple stocks and mutual funds into the security editor of
>gnuCash. Using AlphaVantage, I have also tested the retrieval of quotes
>using the command line tool gnc-fq-dump. I've noticed a few things:
>   1. If I use the GUI to request price quotes, I get an error saying
>   "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items"
>   2. Running gnuCash in debug mode doesn't give me any extra info
>   3. If I check the quotes using gnc-fq-dump, I can request 4, but then
>   the quotes begin to fail - unless I wait 30 or seconds or so, at which
>   point I can suddenly request information on more stocks/funds.
>So my question is "Is this a bug in Finance::Quote" or GnuCash?

The answer is, "Neither." It is apparently a part of Alphavantage's API to
limit the number of requests in a given time period. There are numerous
discussions on the lists of this over the last several months. I believe
that there is a newer version of Finance:: Quote that will attempt to work
around this limitation (by spreading the requests out over time).

David