[GNC] Chart of Accounts sort order in v3.2 - Help

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 09:43:26 EDT 2018

Alan,

> On Sep 4, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Alan Maddocks <alan.maddocks at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply to my query.
>
> I can add account codes and sort on them.  However, that involves a certain amount of additional work which wasn’t necessary previously.
>
> I just don't understand why I am now (with version 3.2) unable to retain the sort order in which the Accounts were originally entered (as I could previously using version 2.6.6).

I am no expert, and I am not a developer, but if I had to guess, I would guess that the change from GTK2 to GTK3 forced this change. While the impact in this specific case may have been unintentional, the overall change was necessary to keep GnuCash in sync with the underlying GTK platform that GnuCash uses. Personally, it only took me at most an hour or two to encode my file, with perhaps about 100 accounts in it.

> Is this a bug or has the functionality been changed deliberately?  Also, is it possible to download a version of GnuCash where the accounts can be listed in the original order.
> e.g. version 2.6.6

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/2.6.6/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/2.6.6/>

I believe that there is a feature that will auto number your accounts for you; you might downgrade to 2.6.6, get the sort you want, run that feature to get your accounts numbered in your preferred order, and then upgrade. Your accounts can then be sorted by ACCTNum.

HTH,
David