[GNC] Gnucash Price updating

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:41:25 EDT 2019

Ronjnk,

Updating stock prices has never been as trivial as we wish it to be in
Gnucash.

It is necessary to decide which stocks we want to follow, then go through
several steps , including using the security editor for each one to define
what source to get the price from, using the price editor on each to choose
whether to include it in the update session,  setting up finance:quote
module with the configuration details to perform updates, and finally
manually starting the process whenever the prices are wanted.

Then it doesn't go smoothly so there is a tedious process to resolve
whatever part did not work as desired.

Even manually using the price editor to manually search through the list of
stocks and add selected prices one at a time is a major headache.

It is enough to drive a person to use a different program altogether to
track their stocks, and there are some out there.  Even a couple of free
ones that are far easier to use.
You could Google stock price trackers to see what you find.

I personally just get prices once a month or once a quarter in GnuCash,
and use a different program to track day to day so I can talk intelligently
with my broker.

GnuCash just doesn't track stocks as a feature.

David Carlson