[GNC] representing shared accounts (personal)

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Tue Apr 30 14:45:39 EDT 2019

I have a bank account that I share 50/50 with my spouse.  We each pay in
a certain amount each month, we use the money to pay utilities and
things like that, occasionally to reimburse individual expenses.

When I calculate my net worth, I include half of the value of that account.

When I compute expenses, a payment into that account isn't an expense,
but half of every payment outbound is.

So for payments from me to the account, it's just a transfer.
For payments from the account to me, it's a transfer, but it probably
ought to someone cancel some expense entry.
For payments from the account to (say) the electric provider, I just
make everything a split: half to the expense, half to something else.
For in/out to/from spouse, it's something, maybe a transfer to the above
something else.

I'm not really sure what that something else should be, though, because
it's not income, and it shouldn't be sticking around in my net worth
(equity) when my spouse reimburses himself.

Any suggestions?  This is personal accounting, but I still like to try
to do things in a way that respects the half millennium of experience
that accountants have in modeling these things.

--

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57

http://p27.eu/jeff/