[GNC] representing shared accounts (personal)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Apr 30 15:10:25 EDT 2019

I think the wiki in the ‘using GnuCash’ section has just this very example of sharing living expenses.

I would create either an asset or liability account called “reimbursements”. (I have a sub account for each family member under this, but in your case, you’d only need one) It doesn’t matter which one really, but I’d put it wherever the balance is likely to remain positive for most of the account’s life. (my family members owe me, more often than I owe them, so I keep it under assets)

If you pay the utility bill in full, only expense your portion. The rest goes to the reimbursement account.

When you get paid back, that is split between cash/checking and the reimbursement account.

When you pay your spouse back, same thing in reverse.

You could try to maintain a sub-account of the bank account for your spouse’s portion and then simply not include that sub-account in your balance sheet report, but trying to keep up with it might get tedious. You could do transfers and correcting entries using this same method though at the end of each period/year you want to run a balance sheet for.

Regards,
Adrien