[GNC] 3.7 Accounts open bar

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Dec 3 05:58:13 EST 2019

Op dinsdag 3 december 2019 06:51:23 CET schreef elvis:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying out moving to 3.7 from the 2.6 series.
>
> Looks good so far, I can't tell the difference, which to me is a good
> thing,
>

> One thing though - the list of open accounts across the top of the
> screen. Notebook tabs I think they are called.
>
> In 2.6.12 I have 12 accounts open with space for 3 or 4 more. They all
> have close buttons on them, and every bit of text is readable.
>

> In 3.7 I have 12 accounts open, but to fit them on the screen I have had
> to change preferences --> windows to width 7. Which makes the account
> names unreadable. And there is no more space to open other accounts.
>

> is there a way to bring back the old behaviour? It looks like someone
> has tried to pretty things up, but it has made it unusable.

The "someone" in that sentence is the upstream gtk project. We depend on their
code to create the graphical user interface for gnucash. When Gtk switched
from version 2 to 3, they redesigned all of the user interface elements the
gtk library provides. In many cases the new elements take up more space as you
noted.

As to what can be done about it: you can tweak the style sheet used by gnucash
to render the user interface elements on screen. Starting points for this can
be found here:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Visual_Styling

Regards,

Geert