[GNC] Recording/Reporting transfers between accounts

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Feb 1 09:55:04 EST 2019

On Friday, 1 February 2019 14:31:21 GMT Finbar Mahon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At year end I need to record the transactions that have been made
> between accounts.
>
> Firstly, I am not sure of the logic to  be used -
>
> So, if I want to transfer €1000 to another a/c, I fill in 'transfer to
> x' in description; what do I put in the 'transfer' box ? - 'assets
> account from which transfer is to be made'? and €1000 in 'withdrawal'?

Hi Finbar,

Assuming that you are in basic  single line view mode in the register of the
account that you are transferring from, then Description sounds right,
Transfer would be the "destination" account and withdrawal of 1000.
(effectively exactly the same as paying a credit card bill etc.)

> OK, assuming that is right then the transferred to a/c should show €1000
> in the deposit window?

Yes.  (assuming both are bank (asset) accounts - the labels might be different
in other type account.)

> To check what transfers I made after a period, can I create a report? If
> so, under what heading in reports?

I'd start with the transaction report.

HTH,
Maf.