[GNC] How to handle bounced check

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Feb 1 23:24:22 EST 2019

A few weeks ago I received a check in payment for an invoice I had sent to a customer.  I recorded the payment and deposited the check.  A couple of weeks later I got notice from my bank that the check had bounced.  My question is how to record this.  I want to “unpay” the invoice and charge the amount back to the customer, but I can’t find a good way to do this.

I tried entering a transaction to debit Accounts Receivable and credit the bank account after which I manually added the split in A/R to the lot for that invoice.  This sort of worked, but the invoice is still marked paid in the customer report.  I can, however, select it in the “Process Payment” dialog to pay it again and it shows up as unpaid in the receivables aging report.  Can I do better than this?

           Mike