[GNC] Unable to pick date/description/credit or debit column headers

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Feb 3 22:30:50 EST 2019

Lance,

Reply, Reply to List or Reply to All will likely be buttons or menu items in your email client.

Your mail is going to the list. You will see gnucash-user at gnucash.org either in the To or CC or BCC fields for the
message when you send it which indicates a reply to the list.

The CSV import for V3.3 works OK on Linux so it may be a MacOS specific problem. The following threads have some
discussion of v3.3 problems on the MacOS which might give you some clues:
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-GNC-3-3-CSV-Importer-Freezing-on-MacOS-td4704858.html

particularly the info about date formats and conversion of the CSV to a QIF format file. (see
https://download.cnet.com/CSV2QIF-Convert/3000-2066_4-75788670.html for a converter, unfortunately not free although you
can try it for free but not save the file).

There is little documentation for the CSV importer at the moment. I import single line data under Linux (without a
transfer account specified for the second split) without any problem once I get the right association of columns. IOf
you can get Date Description and Deposit columns assigned it can usually work with that.

I started to write a section for the Tutorial and Concepts Guide some time ago but it needs a lot more work and
exploration of various options. This is underway but probably won't be in the docs until a later version. The importer
does seem to have some problems with importing multi-split transactions.  I have to get back to testing this out
systematically so the developers can identify/fix specific problems.

I would also try the various separator options in the CSV importer first. One of the other users who operates on a Mac
using Mojave might be persuaded to try a CSV import to see if it is a general problem. Your image of the window only
showed a part of it and it was unclear whether the importer was detecting multiple columns.

David Cousens